Recovering the Service Programming Code (SPC) for the Samsung Smooth (AKA: SCH-U350)
Follows is a short tutorial:
1) Order a cable. I bought mine for a few dollars from bargaincell with the driver disk.
2) Install driver and connect phone to USB port.
3) After the phone installs in windows (driver etc), go into device manager, and change the com port for the phone to COM2.
4) Download and install the demo version of CDMA-Workshop.
5) Run CDMA-Workshop. Change the COM port to COM2, and press the Connect button. Then press the Read button.
6) Switch to the Security tab, check the password radio button, enter 1945081520081106 and press Send.
7) In the dialog (Passowrd is correct. Phone unlocked) press OK.
8) The SPC will appear in the SPC/User Lock field: Record this for later use.
Optional: Change the Service Programming Code, 000000. Change to 000000 by entering the settings and tools menu (Menu, 9) , pressing * and entering the recovered SPC, then pressing 5. Enter 000000, OK, and the 000000 when prompted. (I don't know if this is necessary, but I did it, so I'm including it).