Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Red Pocket won't turn service back on

Feedback Score

Red Pocket won't turn service back on

I am helping my mother-in-law with her phone service because she isn't very tech savvy. I have her set up with service through RedPocket. About a week and a half ago her phone stopped working. I called RedPocket and they told me they shut her phone off because her IMEI number was on the list of stolen phones. It's an older phone we bought used off of Swappa and has worked good for years but whatever. I got a different phone for her to use and called RedPocket to get her service transferred to the new phone. They have been unable to do that. Every time I call they say they are working on it and to wait 24 hours. https://www.howardforums.com/images/smilies/awcrap.gif Why is this so hard for them? Is there any way to get to a more advanced support person that may know how to fix this?

She is running on the Verizon network and would like to stay there. Are there any other MVNOs that use Verizon, I've found RedPocket, Page Plus, and Visible. Will there be problems porting her number out because this issue isn't resolved yet? This used to be her landline number so she's had this number for a long time and would hate to have to change it.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    https://prepaidcompare.net/
    The plan comparison tool is pretty comprehensive, just select for Verizon.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mfs54729 View Post
    I am helping my mother-in-law with her phone service because she isn't very tech savvy. I have her set up with service through RedPocket. About a week and a half ago her phone stopped working. I called RedPocket and they told me they shut her phone off because her IMEI number was on the list of stolen phones. It's an older phone we bought used off of Swappa and has worked good for years but whatever. I got a different phone for her to use and called RedPocket to get her service transferred to the new phone. They have been unable to do that. Every time I call they say they are working on it and to wait 24 hours. https://www.howardforums.com/images/smilies/awcrap.gif Why is this so hard for them? Is there any way to get to a more advanced support person that may know how to fix this?

She is running on the Verizon network and would like to stay there. Are there any other MVNOs that use Verizon, I've found RedPocket, Page Plus, and Visible. Will there be problems porting her number out because this issue isn't resolved yet? This used to be her landline number so she's had this number for a long time and would hate to have to change it.
    Thanks.
    The line has to be active if you want to port out. Contact u/redpocketcs on reddit r/redpocket or try their other help contacts:
    https://www.redpocket.com/contact-us You *should* be able to reactivate the current number and restore service.
    I had a new phone flagged as lost/stolen because Target didn't scan it before shipping from the warehouse. The CS on chat reactivated the line (twice, if I recall). Later, I returned it and used another phone but this was on GSMA so swapping out the sim was easy. Verizon is more stringent about this.
    Last edited by AnciusD; 01-23-2023 at 11:43 AM.

Feedback Score
    AT&T is the one that 'suspends' service if a SIM is used in a blacklisted phone. Redpocket will have to open a ticket with ATT to get the service restored this can take time especially on weekends. This is different than T-Mobile or Verizon where the service will simply not work in a blacklisted phone, often on ATT it service will work for a couple hours before the line get s suspended.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    What are the symptoms of your problem?

What happens when you try to make a call?.

What happens when someone tries to call the number?

Can the phone send or receive texts from another redpocket cdma phone number? Can they send and receive texts from another carrier like a Google voice number?

Does mobile internet work or do you have an wireless bar icon with an exclamation mark in the upper right corner?

If you go to the web ui online management page, you can verify that the imei and sim card number are correct.

Do you have another phone you can try the sim in? I suggest a cheap Motorola phone like an unlocked G5 5g from Amazon for $179-$199

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Having a phone like this available is useful for testing services on different providers Name:  Screenshot_20230123-104314.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  40.6 KB

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OP, never forget that even if the phone wasn't previously stolen, the carrier can still blacklist it if it has an outstanding bill or the equipment purchase plan hasn't been paid in full. Sadly, the original owner would have to contact the carrier directly to resolve this and you would be out of the loop of the conversation while they deal with it. In other words, get a new phone from somewhere else.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    OP, never forget that even if the phone wasn't previously stolen, the carrier can still blacklist it if it has an outstanding bill or the equipment purchase plan hasn't been paid in full. Sadly, the original owner would have to contact the carrier directly to resolve this and you would be out of the loop of the conversation while they deal with it. In other words, get a new phone from somewhere else.
    Sounds like the OP already has a replacement phone:
    I got a different phone for her to use and called RedPocket to get her service transferred to the new phone.

The hurdle is the service transfer to the new phone as I read it. Probably just a case of CSR roulette. I'd try again.
    Last edited by AnciusD; 01-24-2023 at 09:37 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    You can verify your settings on the red pocket online management page. you can even edit your imei

Name:  rp olam.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  41.3 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    when i have connection issues on cdma-v, i tell them to "reset the account, provision for cdma-less" and it has gotten fixed within an hour

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    Sounds like the OP already has a replacement phone:
    I got a different phone for her to use and called RedPocket to get her service transferred to the new phone.

The hurdle is the service transfer to the new phone as I read it. Probably just a case of CSR roulette. I'd try again.
    Yes, I have a replacement phone.

One CSR said they have tried their automated system to change the EMEI number and have tried to manually change it but neither one worked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    What are the symptoms of your problem?

What happens when you try to make a call?.

What happens when someone tries to call the number?

Can the phone send or receive texts from another redpocket cdma phone number? Can they send and receive texts from another carrier like a Google voice number?

Does mobile internet work or do you have an wireless bar icon with an exclamation mark in the upper right corner?

If you go to the web ui online management page, you can verify that the imei and sim card number are correct.

Do you have another phone you can try the sim in? I suggest a cheap Motorola phone like an unlocked G5 5g from Amazon for $179-$199

When I try calling her number I get a recording saying the number has been changed, closed or disconnected.

I don't have her phone with me right now to try any of these other things.

When I log into her RedPocket website the status of her line is Closed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    thx for the info. if the website says it got closed, then it sounds like purely an administrative issue. hope they get it resolved soon.

my users have had sporadic problems like this in the past. usually did not take more than an hour to resolve once i established that it's not phone related. their first response to most problems seems to blame the phone as incompatible first and your should do a reset on the phone. that will most likely lead to bigger problems. The reason I mention it is I think them claiming your phone is stolen or imei is invalid sounds not correct.

redpocket seems to have alot of problems this year with cdma-v. specifically, users with iPhones have been affected for some unknown reason. reports of accounts being disabled have occurred too.

one of my users had an issue with not receiving text messages from other carriers(but could receive from another red pocket cdma-v user oddly enough) but that got resolved in about an hour.
    Last edited by ShredFred; 01-23-2023 at 01:38 PM.

Feedback Score
    FYI If moving to Visible. Visible has an approved phone list.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 12.25.23

Carrier(s)
    Tello & Hello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mfs54729 View Post
    She is running on the Verizon network and would like to stay there. Are there any other MVNOs that use Verizon, I've found RedPocket, ...
    Twigby is on the Verizon network. When I had their service I was able to change out my SIM to different phones just by switching the SIM (it would even automatically update my Dashboard and list the information for the new phone). I didn't even know that this was an issue until I tried moving a Tracfone (Verizon) SIM to another phone and was told that I was lucky that it still worked in the original phone.

Twigby always had great service.

https://www.twigby.com/
    Pixel 3a on Tello — Alcatel Go Flip 3 on Tello — AGM M7 on Hello Mobile — iPhone SE on FreedomPop — TCL Flip 2 on Tracfone

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast